Top 10 Euro 2012 conclusions: England 1-0 Ukraine
1. It’s just like we were saying in summer 2010: goal-line technology would needlessly slow the game. There’s no need for it. Ahem.
2. Wayne Rooney is back. Not with a bang, but with a winning goal. And that’s all we can ask for really.
3. For once John Terry’s team-mates were pleased to see him sneaking around behind their backs as he made the crucial ‘goal-line clearance.
4. It’s unfortunate to see another host bow out, albeit we wouldn’t have had it any other way this evening.
5. It probably wasn’t just Ukraine’s demise we witnessed tonight. Surely that’s the end of the road for goal-line officials.
6. If you thought Fabio Capello was a disciplinarian, think again. He never got Wayne Rooney singing the national anthem.
7. Scott Parker really should have swapped names with the Ukraine coach at the end of the match. Once again he was Blokhin shots left, right and centre.
8. Wayne Rooney’s hair clinic is probably claiming an assist on the winning goal.
9. The solid defence of ‘new England’ gives away plenty of chances that will be punished by a half-decent side as far as OTP can see.
10. So England go through as group winners. Who’d have thought it? Let’s start talking up Italy: we might have found a gameplan that works at last.