Top 10 Euro 2012 conclusions: Netherlands 0-1 Denmark
1. Euro 2012 has its first mini-shock. Denmark were supposed to be the poor relatives of the Group of Death. This has thrown a cat and a pigeon into the applecart.
2. Netherlands missed so many chances that they looked they would’ve struggled to score in one of Amsterdam’s seedier districts.
3. The Danes were helped slightly by this new rugby-style rule that allows them to catch the ball in their own area.
4. Arsenal will be delighted with the effect that this showing might have on Robin Van Persie’s contract negotiations. They might be able to talk him into a pay-cut on the performance.
5. In the world of Martin Keown, stepovers are called legovers. That must have made for some peculiar bedroom antics in the Keown household over the years. “What? This is how Ryan Giggs does it.”
6. Uefa’s Mark Van Bommel clampdown has come into effect. The Dutchman picked up a rare booking during this evening’s encounter.
7. The only goal of the game was made by Simon Poulsen and scored by Michael Krohn-Delhi, but surely we can all agree that it was the God-like presence of Nicklas Bendtner, distracting the Dutch defenders, that allowed Denmark to grab the winner.
8. There were nearly as many empty blue seats on display at the stadium as your average Wigan home game. Michel Platini might conclude that football fans’ claims that they would travel to the ends of the Earth for their team are exaggerated.
9. Goalscoring hero Krohn-Delhi must spend a lot of time on the toilet. His name is very nearly an amalgamation of Crohn’s Disease and Delhi Belly.
10. The Dutch players looked out on their feet in the second half, and looked like they’d been knocked out at full-time. Worrying times for Bert Van Marwijk.
Video via 101GG