Top 10 Euro 2012 conclusions: Portugal 2-1 Netherlands
1. Cristiano Ronaldo has arrived at Euro 2012. To be fair, he missed as many chances tonight as he has in the first two games, but at least he found the net twice tonight as well.
2. CR7 can’t wait to get back to his hotel now to consult his 2011 diary and see whether Lionel Messi scored two goals this time last year.
3. To complete a thoroughly miserable trip for the Netherlands fans, their side decided to give them hope first before slipping to a third defeat.
4. It was some hope to have though: Rafael Van Der Vaart curled in an absolute beauty to give them the lead. Undoubtedly the highlight of the tournament for the Dutch (not that it was up against much competition).
5. Mark Van Bommel obviously forgot to deliver his Father’s Day card this morning. Father-in-law Bart Van Marwijk dropped him this evening.
6. If the Dutch players had listened to their manager’s team talk carefully they would have won this match easily, but all they heard was “Vlaar, Vlaar, Vlaar.”
7. Ronaldo’s still insisting on changing his hairstyle at half-time. Perhaps he thinks it helps him to lose his marker at set-pieces in the second-half.
8. The referee had a fairly unique way of tackling dissent from Joao Pereira: hitting him.
9. It wasn’t all doom and gloom for Robin Van Persie. He did manage to give Pepe a forearm smash.
10. The Group of Death claimed the Netherlands, not that it was a sudden death. In fact, it couldn’t have been more expected if Portugal had name the Grim Reaper up front tonight.