Top five conclusions: Real Madrid 2-0 Borussia Dortmund (3-4 on agg.)
1. Another Champions League side has proved that its whole is greater than the some of its parts. Well done to Borussia, who were assembled on a shoestring budget in comparison to Real.
2. The first 70 minutes was essentially watching 11 men in white shirts gradually run out of ideas against the Germans. We’ve been there before, Real fans. We have been there.
3. But the first 20 minutes looked like Real’s players were showing Jose Mourinho just how easily they could race into a three-goal lead if they really wanted to.
4. Sergio Ramos obviously took to heart Mourinho’s complaints that Robert Lewandowski hadn’t been fouled once in the first leg.
5. With Mesut Ozil’s new haircut and Angel Di Maria also in an attacking role, it seems Cristiano Ronaldo is opting for the Saddam Hussein tactic of surrounding himself with vaguely passable lookalikes to avoid detection. It’s not working: he was pretty anonymous in both legs of the semi-final.