Top 10 Euro 2012 conclusions: Czech Republic 0-1 Portugal
1. Cristiano Ronaldo scored the winning goal with the sort of powerful header that can only come from the ball bouncing off a suitably shiny surface. Perhaps he’s borrowed Andy Carroll’s product too.
2. This was one of those matches where the unimaginative, ultra-defensive side didn’t get their way in the end. It was a Bayern Munich Champions League win, if you will.
3. Euro 2012 has been a pulsating tournament so far. Not so much this evening.
4. Ronaldo was striking the post more frequently than Royal Mail staff in an industrial dispute.
5. Petr Cech’s concerns about the safety of his head do not extend to going up for injury time corners to try to score with his head.
6. Martin Keown believes that they play basketball in the NFL. He also thinks that the Czech Republic’s full-backs open up like a flower during their rare attacks.
7. According to the team sheets, Milan Baros was playing this evening. No we didn’t see him either.
8. Some players on the pitch – like Pilar – are supposed to have ‘sh’ sounds in their name when pronounced correctly. Jonathan Pearce added a ‘sh’ sound to most names, just to be on the safe side.
9. You didn’t catch Lionel Messi in an international tournament semi-final this year. That’s what Ronny told us anyway.
10. Portugal were a class above Czech Republic, and Cristiano Ronaldo was a class above anyone else on the pitch.
Video via 101GG